Saturday, 25 April 2015

TAWS: Ink Smooshing!


Supplies
The Alley Way Stamps: Phone Home stamp set
Memento Tuxedo Black ink
Copic Markers
Distress ink pads: Chipped Sapphire, Dusty Concord
Doodlebug Kraft in Color 6x6 paper pad: Color (#4205)
Versafine Onyx Black ink
Silver Star Sequins

Happy Saturday everyone! Today I have a TAWS card to share that I made for the current challenge at CAS(E) this Sketch #120. I've seen a lot of "ink smooshing" around blogland lately, and as soon as I saw the sketch, I knew that it was the perfect layout to try out this technique.


I've never tried "ink smooshing" before, but after watching a few You Tube videos, I pulled out my craft mat and some distress ink pads and had a go. I pressed my Chipped Sapphire ink pad into my craft pad, removed some ink with a paper towel so it wasn't a square (I have the large ink pad in this colour - the mini ink pads are perfect for this technique!), and then spritzed it with some water. I then took my piece of cardstock and pressed it onto the ink. I did this a few times and then dried it with my heat gun. I then did the same with Dusty Concord. I don't have Black Soot, so I used my Memento Tuxedo Black ink, which definitely reacted well with the water, but gave a bit more of an even splodge when I pressed my cardstock into it.  After everything was dry, I splattered some Chipped Sapphire around a bit (I only have the distress ink pads, so I used a wet paintbrush to pick up some of the ink that I'd pressed onto my craft mat).

I then stamped the spaceship from Phone Home in Memento Tuxedo Black ink onto the card I use for Copic colouring. I added one of the little aliens to the cockpit (love that you can do this!), and then coloured with Copic markers. I then fussy cut it out and added a googly eye.

When I was ready to put the card together, I saw that somehow I'd scribbled with one of my Copic markers at the bottom of the inked panel!!! Eeeek! I always have a piece of scrap card to hand when I'm colouring so that I can check out colours or blending combos, so my inked panel of cardstock must have been hiding under something and I inadvertently scribbled on the bottom thinking it was my scrap card!!! I tried to cover up the mistake with some more ink, but in the end I had to trim off the bottom portion of the panel. Now the card was out of proportion, so I added a strip of purple paper to the bottom to balance it out. I know it's not part of the sketch, but I didn't want to start all over again, lol!

Finally, I stamped my sentiment from the same stamp set in Versafine Onyx Black, which is a much deeper black than Memento Tuxedo Black.


In hindsight, I wish I hadn't added the black "smooshed" ink to the background, as the placement looks as though there is black smoke coming from the alien's spaceship, plus it doesn't work too well with the placement of the sentiment!  I nearly didn't share this card, but I think it's good to show the failures as well as the successes, lol!  I will definitely try this technique again, but maybe with rainbow colours and as a background to a larger sentiment!

Thanks so much for stopping by today. I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Hugs,

11 comments:

  1. So fun! Great job with the smooshing -- perfect background for the fun image

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!! and you're killing me with this TAWS set!! Thanks for sharing this darling in our CTS gallery!
    =] Michele

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun card! I love that awesome background technique!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooo! cute card Semsee! I love your little alien, and the background is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow....your ink smooshing looks so amazing with that adorable spaceship! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this is so fun! Fabulous take on the sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super fun take on the sketch! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this card! Outstanding! Far OUT! I am seriously leaning towards grabbing up these stamps now after seeing this card, no joke! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an awesome card! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for taking the time to pop by and for leaving me a comment! I hope you have a wonderful day! Hugs, Sem x