Wednesday, 8 December 2010

YNS Challenge #31: It's a CAS Christmas

Happy Wednesday everyone!  Today we have a brand new challenge for you over at YNS Challenges.  It's Jenny's turn to play hostess and she is challenging us all to make a CAS Christmas creation.  [NB This challenge is only running for ONE WEEK rather than the usual 2 weeks.]

For those of you who don't know or who are unsure of what CAS is, it's an acronym for Clean And Simple. 

So what is considered to be a "clean and simple" card? Well, it really is up to you - if you consider your creation to be CAS, then it is! However, here are some 'guidelines' that I have pulled from various CAS challenges on the www of what CAS is accepted to mean:

Clean: uncluttered, lots of white or open space.
Simple: one clear focal point with little distractions, limited layers, little or no embellishments.
Reproducible: can be quickly and easily mass produced.

So you now know what CAS is, but where to start?  If you're a bit stuck, I suggest popping along to http://cleanandsimplestamping.blogspot.com/ to choose one of their CAS sketches (past or present - there are lots of great ones to choose from!) to follow as a great starting point.  I did just that for my card and chose sketch FTL115 as my starting point.


First, I made my card base by cutting an A4 sized piece of SU Real Red cardstock in half and then folding it.  I then cut out a slightly smaller piece of white card and set these aside.  I stamped Fhiona's Christmas Tree in Memento Tuxedo Blank ink onto white cardstock, coloured it with Copic markers (R27, E35, YG67, YG63), cut it out using my SU Paper Snips, and then added some SU Dazzling Diamonds glitter to the star using my SU 2-way glue pen.  I then used my Woodware Stamp Positioner to help me decide where I wanted to put the three stamps from the Holiday Accesssories Set.  When I was fiddling around positioning them, I had a "AH-HA!" moment and realised that if I put them in a certain order and turned the candy cane upside, I would spell the world JOY.  All I did was add a hand-drawn upper left part of the "Y" and voila!  I realise now that I should have wiped off the bow and added a small ribbon bow on top as the bow of the candy cane is upside down, but perhaps I'll do that when I make another of these! :o)  Once I'd finished colouring the Holiday Accessories, I stuck the white card to the red card base using tape (I usually use PVA glue, but I knew this wouldn't work for this card!) and then popped up the Christmas Tree with 3D foam pads.

I really love how this card came out, and I hope you do too!  I really struggle with CAS cards, but thankfully the layout I used coupled with the stamps I chose made for a successful combination! {grin}

Please hop on over to the YNS Challenge blog to see how my DT sistahs have interpreted CAS, then why not play along?  This challenge is perfect for making those last minute and QUICK Christmas cards!!

Thanks for popping by!

Hugs,

8 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous CAS creation Sem!! I just love your coloring and the images you chose. They really pop with those colors against the white.
    hugs,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful... I can't believe all the dimension you get with your coloring! It doesn't look one-layer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous card Sem.

    Hugs Riet.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I just totally fell in love with this card it is so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How creative, Sem!!! I just love it, girl, and your coloring looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I SOOOOO LOVE your cas card Sem!! Girl the use of these images is FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! and I didn't even notice the upside down bow until you mentioned it! LOL! Very Cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a clever way to do the word 'Joy'! I've been trying to make more CAS cards lately too and it really does take some thought. Love yours! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for taking the time to pop by and for leaving me a comment! I hope you have a wonderful day! Hugs, Sem x