Saturday, 16 October 2010

Sketch Saturday #125: Whimsy Vintage Christmas


Hello everyone!

This week over at Sketch Saturday we have another fab sketch by our wonderful leader Jo, and this week we are being sponsored by Digital Delights who are offering a $10 gift certificate to one lucky entrant!


For my DT card this week, I used some of the fabulous and very beautiful new Whimsy Stamps Holiday stamps.  Initially, I was going to use a different Whimsy stamp for the main focal part of this card, but once I'd made up the base of the card, I decided it just didn't look right, and so I inked up the large poinsettia stamp from the Vintage Christmas stamp set and set about colouring it, then cut it out and popped it up with foam pads.  I also stamped the swirls onto the mistletoe DP and then traced over them with a gold spica pen:


The 'Merry Christmas' sentiment stamp and the holly stamp I used to stamp on the green background paper are both from the Jingle Bell Ride stamp set.

Once I'd finished the card I felt it needed something in the top corners, and as I don't have a fancy corner punch or die, I decided to improvise with what I had.  I do have the Cuttlebug 2x6 Ornamental dies (bought them a long time ago from Ebay), and so cut out this shape twice with my Cuttlebug and then snipped off the parts I didn't want.
I don't own the Spellbinders Fancy Tags set of dies (it's on my Christmas list!), but I do own the original Ribbons Tags Trio set. So to make my plain ribbon tag a little fancier, I added the tiny scrolls that I'd snipped off the cuttlebug die shape!

I really enjoyed making this card, even though the end result was quite different from what I'd set out to do!  I wouldn't have put the striped paper with this image, but as I had originally chosen it to match the pyjama pattern on the Santa's Midnight Snack stamp, and had already stuck it all down before deciding to change the image, it'll have to stay, LOL!

I'd like to enter this card into the following challenges:

1. Sweet Stampin Challenge #48 - Ribbons
2. A Spoon Full of Sugar #125 - Winter Wonderland
3. Papertake Weekly Challenge - 3 of a Kind (I've used 3 different DPs)
4. ABC Challenge - F is for Flowers (my stamped image is my flower!)
5. Quixotic Inspiration Challenge - Christmas is Coming

Thanks for popping by today and thank you for all your kind words and well wishes!  Thankfully the sore throat has started to get better, but now I have earache and still this awful painful cough is hanging on! 

Wishing you all a wonderful weekend, whatever you're up to!

Hugs,

9 comments:

  1. This is absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for joining us at Sweet Stampin this week x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so wonderful card.

    Hugs Riet.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. sore throat is not a lot of fun its just uncomfortable and difficult to swallow.

    usually, i would take the Nim Jiom Cough Syrup (www.geocities.jp/ninjiom_hong_kong/index_e.htm ) which has a thick consistency formulation. it coats the throat and includes herbs that are particularly good for that application.

    i hope it works on you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, this is an absolutely stunning card!! :o)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning Sem!! I so love the layout and the vintage and elegant flair!! Gorgeous!! Hope you are feeling a bit better!!
    hugs,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an absolute beauty, Sem! It's gorgeous!

    - Ann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Sem, wow beautiful card!!

    Hugs,
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for taking the time to pop by and for leaving me a comment! I hope you have a wonderful day! Hugs, Sem x