Sunday, 11 October 2009

Stamptacular Sunday Challenge 28: Character Counts

Click to enlarge image
This week's challenge over at Stamptacular Sunday Challenge is "Character Counts: Use a well known cartoon character on your card or project". Now, I know what you're all going to say ... "but you haven't used a cartoon character!". If you squint your eyes a bit and use a little imagination, you will see Ariel from Disney's The Little Mermaid!! ...hopefully, LOL!

The reason why I haven't used a 'proper' cartoon character is because this week's challenge is being sponsored by my wonderful Your Next Stamp boss, Karen! (Thanks hun!) And she has very generously donated one of YNS's scrummy stamp sets called "Just Swimming By Mermaid" as the prize for this challenge - the stamp set I've used on my card! (Can you see why I used it now, LOL!) If you don't own any YNS stamps, then this is the perfect opportunity to join in with this fun challenge and be in with a chance to win ...

Click to enlarge image
So onto my card ...

I stamped the wave stamp onto white card and coloured it using my Copics. I then stamped, coloured and glittered 'Ariel', cut her out and popped her up using 3D foam pads, and finally added some pearly 'bubbles' for interest and dimension:

Click to enlarge image
I followed this fortnight's awesome sketch (challenge #17) over at Truly Scrumptious for this card. (Big shout out to Angela, my lovely and extremely talented blogging buddy, who is the Guest Designer at TS for October & November!). Originally I was going to use the sketch exactly as it is, but then after sticking down the under layers, I decided it suited the image better being turned to the left by 90 degrees!

The sketch worked so well for allowing me to use the two shell stamps plus the octopus stamp which come in this stamp set:

Click to enlarge image
I bought this Daisy Bucket 12x12 double-sided paper especially for this stamp, as I thought the waves and bubbles were perfect for a mermaid card. Again, I used my CB 'Tiny Bubbles' embossing folder, but this time on the green underlaid card.

Click to enlarge image
I hope you can pop over to Stamptacular Sunday Challenge this week and join us, as we'd love to see you! And if you're stuck for ideas of where to get cartoon character stamps, why don't you do what I've done and turn a stamp you already have into one! Alternatively, have a look through the numerous online colouring pages, as there are literally hundreds of free 'digi' stamps you can use - just so long as you don't sell your finished card for money (...otherwise there are issues with copyright!).

Thanks for dropping by! TTFN!

Hugs, Sem x

(PS You can click on all the piccies in my post to see larger versions with all the detail!)


Ingredients
STAMP: Your Next Stamp 'Just Swimming By Mermaid' stamp set
COLOURING MEDIA: Copic Ciaos
PAPER: Daisy Bucket 12x12 Posh Poshies 'Groovy'
CARD: Core'dinations 12x12 ColorCore Harlequin (LL040), Mantis (GG020)
EMBELLISHMENTS: 5mm white pearls (purple pearl was coloured using a Copic Ciao), turquoise & purple glitter glue
TOOLS: Paper trimmer, Cuttlebug, CB embossing folder 'Tiny Bubbles', Scissors, 3D foam pads, PVA glue, MS Scallop Dot border punch

25 comments:

  1. This card is absolutely fabulous. The Little Mermaid is my second favorite Disney movie. I love the added pearls and the punched border suit this perfectly! Adorable card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic job, you always pic the most beautiful colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really great. Thanks for showing us what the prize looks like.

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think she is great!! fab card!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is too cute Sem. Fabby job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This card is so adorable! I love it! The details are wonderful!
    :) Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute Simonne!! Love all the DP you've used, and your coloring is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a cute set! I love the waves behind her!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is adorable -- and I definitely got Ariel even before I read your post! I love the little pearls around her. So much beautiful detail!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is gorgeous, I love it, the pearls look fabulous

    Victoria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this, Simonne!!! Amazing job with the challenge! I love what you did with the seashells and octopus~too CUTE! : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hiya Sem, wow!!! what a wonderful creation, your colours scheme and colouring is amazing, loving the papers and all the extra embellies are a perfect finishing touch.

    Thank you so much for having me as a GDTM over at Sunday Sketch and Stamp, I am so thrilled. Take care luvly, luv 'n' crafty hugs xx vicki xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the colours and your layout! The glitter looks so pretty! Just fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh this is amazing, wonderful mermaid and fab colours.
    luv
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another fabulous card. She is a real sweetie but it is all the embellishments that make this one special. I just love the octopus

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is really gorgeous, everything in it is just perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a cute card with so many lovely details!!!
    Simone

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful card.
    I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your little mermaid card is so sweet Sem, I lvoe the gorgeous colours in your papers and such a beautiful layout too :) Donna x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous card Sem, love the colours and the sparkle, she looks fab with her pretty sparkly tail.
    Love n hugs
    Vikki xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. I absolutely adore this card! Love the papers and colors and the pearls are such a perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for taking the time to pop by and for leaving me a comment! I hope you have a wonderful day! Hugs, Sem x