Wednesday, 9 September 2009

Sketch Saturday DT Call

Click to enlarge image
Hello everyone!

Okay, so here's the card I've just finished making for the Sketch Saturday DT call! Woo-hoo! It's taken me an age to actually finish this, as we've had an amazingly unexpected stressful past few days, and when I'm upset my mojo leaves me completely, LOL!

The first part of the call is to make a card using the following sketch:

Click to go to Sketch Saturday DT call post
If you're interested in applying for the Sketch Saturday DT call, click here to be taken along to the post at Sketch Saturday where you can read all about it. All entries for the first part of the DT call need to be submitted by 8.00pm (UK time) on Monday 14th September (2009).

I really wanted to use my new 'Snow' Miss Anya stamp for this card, and so I decided to make a Christmas card (my second ever!!). I coloured her with my usual combination of Whispers pens and Copic Ciaos (E00 & R20), and then cut her out and raised her on 3D foam pads onto a cream piece of card run through the snowflakes Cuttlebug folder. Then I stamped, coloured and cut out part of her scarf and her muff and raised these on more foam pads for added dimension. I used some of my brand new Polar White flowersoft on her ear muffs, hand muff, and trim of her outfit and boots, and popped some stickles on the top to give it a bit of a glittery finish. Finally I used my Sakura Clear Stardust pen to add some glittery detail to her eyeshadow and ear muff headband.

Click to enlarge image
I created the sentiment myself using a combination of fonts and a free snowflake graphic found on the internet. I used my 'Wheat' Versamagic Dew Drop to ink around the edges and added 3 pearls to the underlaid strip to match Miss Anya's buttons and the pearls I added to the scalloped edge below. This was also my very first time at sewing a bow!! Eek! I told myself that I was only going to attempt to sew if I had the correct colour cotton in my small sewing kit, and blow-me-down, I actually did, so I went ahead:

Click to enlarge image
I originally handmade 3 candy canes for the top panel (complete with gloss, for that shiny look, LOL!), but I only have one red Copic Ciao and one red Whisper pen - the Copic wasn't the right colour, and the Whisper pen ink bled badly when I covered it with gloss. So in the end I came up with the idea of winding some thin cream satin ribbon around some red grosgrain ribbon to give a candy-cane look, and I'm quite pleased with the overall result:

Click to enlarge image
Obviously, I would LOVE to be on the Sketch Saturday DT - I adore all their sketches, and I even save each one into a special folder on my PC for use at any time - so please wish me luck! And GOOD LUCK to everyone else who is applying too!

Hope your week is going better than mine, LOL!

Hugs, Sem xx


Ingredients
October Afternoon 'Good Cheer' 12x12 double-sided paper (Sugar Cookies PP-045 and Tinsel PP-048) : Bazzill cardstock : Cuttlebug 'Snowflakes' a2 embossing folder : Martha Stewart Scallop Dot border punch : Woodware inverted corner rounder punch : The Greeting Farm 'Miss Anya - Snow' stamp : Whispers Dual Tip pens and Copic Ciaos (E00 & R20) : Versamagic Dew Drop 'Wheat' : Flowersoft 'Polar White' : Stickles 'Icicle' : Sakura Clear Gelly Roll Pen 'Stardust' : Pink and White 4mm pearls, red grosgrain ribbon, cream satin ribbon, cream button, and 3D foam pads from stash

37 comments:

  1. wow this is flippin fantastic Sem, I'd pick you if it was down to me!

    Love the way you've wrapped that ribbon, what a great idea. The overall feel to the card is stunning, one of the lovliest cards I've seen in ages

    Victoria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another fantastic card Sem. Love everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! this is awesome! beautiful image & 3D work, and the ribbon candy canes are fab! very clever idea.
    Thank you & good luck!
    Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! Its just so gorgeous!! I love the colours you have used and the sparkly detail is beautiful, you're so patient wrapping those ribbons so neatly!! Haven't got around to doing this one yet??? Hope your week gets better,
    hugs Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOWSERS Sem !! Thats such a brilliant card!! I love the candy cane idea and the papers are great! Your colouring is flawless too! Good luck with the DT call - they'd be mad not to choose you!!
    Dei xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely gorgeous!! Goodluck.
    Trish (-:

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure that you'll be chosen, this is another beautiful card and goes with the sketch so well. Love the colors also!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sem,
    Fabulous card... i really love the colour combo and fabulous layout- your candy canes look fab! Love Miss Anya too, i'll have to try raising her from an embossed panel- it look great :O)
    Thankyou for entering and linking my Candy...
    GOOD LUCK

    Fern xx

    Oh, and good luck with the DT call on Sketch Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooooooh Sem this is just super stunning darling... think this is the best christmas card ive ever seen. Your attention to detail is out of this world, your image coloured to perfection and finished off beautifully with the addition of pretty sparkle. Wowwweeee its gorgeous.
    Love n hugs
    Vikki xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous card Sem! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sem, you are a genius!! Look at all the goodies on this card! The ribbon candy canes are inspired and the coloring perfect. It is all fabulous. It is my honor to be in the company of such brilliance!

    Hugs!
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  12. I almost forgot!! Good Luck! They'd be lucky to have you on their team!

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMGoodness I absolutely LOVE this card!! LOVE the coloring, the flower soft and glitter accents, the pearls, the papers, and that candy cane ribbon is creative genius!! I could go on and on! Good luck with the call - they NEED to pick you - you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Sem this is just stunning. Such fantastic attention to detail. I adore how you've created the candy cane effect ribbon, genious idea an dthe flowers soft on her muff and boots looks amazing!
    Hugs, Vicky ~x~

    ReplyDelete
  15. So many things I like about this card. Love the ribon on ribon to look like candy cane.

    I have to get some of this pola Flower Soft I made a Christmas card Yesterday (you can see it on my blog) First of the year. I would love to make it again & put some FS on this stamp.

    Beautiful card I needn't bother trying to enter this DT when they have wonderful creations like this being submitted. Your MOJO has returned with avengence lol love yr card hunny

    Love Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW!!! This is gorgeous, girl!!! Your coloring is exquisite and I LOVE the candy cane ribbon idea! Fabulous!!! Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW Sem, your card is absolutely darling and you should be a shoo-in for the DT. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh WOW this is fantastic such a gorgeous image and stunning work for the sketch. Good luck with the DT, I would choose you.
    Luv
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow this is gorgeous!i'll keep my fingers crossed for you,def deserving of a dt spot :)
    hugs amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow!! amazing card!!! WOW.. there is no other word! love it all... good luck for the dt call ;)) i think you have great chances!!
    hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow Simonne, this is such a stunning card. All those beautiful details (way of the ribbon wrapped, addition of th furry jacket, Anya's cool eyeshadow, pearls, etc) are awesome! I will keep my fingers crossed for you!
    Hugs,
    Cabio

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sem this is STUNNING, love everything, good luck with the DT post not that I think you'll need it xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi, I will be so surprised if this does not get you through, it's fab.

    Liz x
    buttonsforbrains

    ReplyDelete
  24. A stunning Christmas card. Good luck with the DT call.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gorgeous work! Stopped by from Dawn's blog! Boy, she was right! You do awesome work! Good luck with the DT call - they SHOULD choose you! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  26. wowzee Sem
    Love everything about this card, the layout and the colours are well cool and the added flower soft just sets it off perfectly
    hugs Debra

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh Sem
    This card is simply adorable, its really really fantastic. Hugs Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a fantastic card Sem, good luck, they would be fools not to have you on their team!!! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Excellent card Sem! You so deserve your placing in the DT call! Good luck!
    Hugs,
    Eiglas
    x

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is out of this world!! so stunning! congratulations on making the 12 finalists.. good luck!
    Paula x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congratulations! told you so lol wow well done on getting in the final 12 good luck with Pt2

    Love Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hiya Sem wow hun what a fabulous card you made. Congratulations on making the 12 finalists hun, I wish you good luck on the second part. Hugs Terry

    ReplyDelete
  33. This card is lovely - congratulations on making the final 12.
    Berni

    ReplyDelete
  34. Congratulations on making it in the top 12.
    Good luck in the next round!

    Janneke X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for taking the time to pop by and for leaving me a comment! I hope you have a wonderful day! Hugs, Sem x